Sunday, February 01, 2009

Surgery & a Princess Birthday Party

We are so thankful that Sara Kate's eye surgery is behind us! She was a trooper and we can already tell a difference in her left eye. Gigi flew out here the day before her surgery and we were so thankful for her help. She occupied SK for the 2 hours we were at the hospital before her surgery began. Sara Kate couldn't eat anything from midnight up until the surgery. That was hard because SK loves breakfast. We got to the hospital around 9:00 Wednesday morning and they took her back around 11:00. Poor Eric went back with her in the O.R. and held her down for them to give her the gas mask so she would be knocked out. They then put the i.v. in her leg. By this point I was a wreck so I'm thankful that Eric was able to go back with her. The surgery lasted about an hour and 30 min. Dr. Roberts, her opthomologist, came and got us when she started waking up from the anesthesia. I have to say it was pretty pitiful watching her wake up from this. She was very irritable and was trying to yank the i.v. out of her leg. She literally climbed out of the bed and into my arms. Anytime a dr. would walk up, Sara Kate would start screaming. We thankfully were able to leave pretty soon so we were home by 3:00. SK wanted a Starbucks strawberry milkshake on the way home so believe me, she got what she wanted! I think her Daddy, Gigi, and I would've gotten her ANYTHING she wanted! She was pretty worn out all day but was so happy to see some of her friends that stopped by to bring balloons and food. We went back to the dr. Thurs. and everything was fine. Sara Kate did great letting them check out her eye, i was VERY worrried how she would do. We can already tell a difference in that eye and that makes it all worth it. Thank you to everyone who prayed for our precious little girl. We definitely felt your prayers!
Daddy & SK. She was sporting her hospital p.j.'s.
Playing with Gigi in the waiting area
Reading a book right before she went into the O.R.
Mommy trying to be brave although she wanted to cry! :)
SK reading to baby Sam
Resting on the couch
She was so happy to see Nomi
I thought this was so sweet of them holding hands. Sara Kate had been on the couch all afternoon but when Rachel, Daniel & Naomi stopped by, she got up and ran to Nomi. They both gave each other the biggest hug. isn't that sweet?
Nomi brought SK a big Minnie balloon.

On Saturday, Gigi & I took Sara Kate to her friends Arianna & Sophia's princess party. It was so cute. Arianna turned 6 and Sophia turned 4 and they had a princess party at a salon. All the girls dressed up in dresses and had their hair, make-up & nails done. Sara Kate was the youngest one there so she didn't get into it as much as the other girls but she still had a great time. We couldn't convince her to put on a dress, although she dresses up all the time at home, but Gigi convinced her to get her nails done. You can tell in some of the pics. that her eye was still swollen. She brought her dress up shoes from home, she doesn't leave home without them!, and carried around a purse the entire time. It was fun and kept her mind off the fact that her eye was still a little sore. Enjoy the pictures!

Arianna & Sophia, the birthday girls. Their daddy is the chief of BAMC, the army hospital. Since Wilford Hall and BAMC have combined this year, Eric and Paul work a lot together.
getting her nails done
Sophia, Arianna, SK & Isabella (they are all sisters)
Putting on "lip-in-stick"
and her pearls!
pretty girl!
The girls did a fashion show to show off their outfits. Sara Kate wouldn't do it but she enjoyed standing in line!
Sara Kate & all the girls at the party


They had an English tea party with real hot tea. Sara Kate just enjoyed stirring her sugar cube in her tea!
watching the girls open up their presents

7 comments:

Katherine said...

What a brave little Sara Kate! I'm glad she's doing so well.

Bechtel Family said...

Sara Kate is so brave and her mommy and daddy are too!! I am so glad she is doing so well!! God is so good and He answers our prayers!! Love ya!

King's Krew said...

I'm so glad all that is over for her ... and you too !

laci

Hurst Family said...

So glad to see an update on Miss little Sara kate! Tell her Aunt Tara has prayed for her eyes and continue to pray for healing! She is so blessed to have such a wonderful Mom and Dad and a little brother on the way!
Love you and miss you

The Hunts said...

You don't know me, I clicked over from Lindsey Oliver's blog list when I saw the tag line about your daughter's surgery. She is such a doll and I LOVE her name. My three year old little boy is having his tonsills out next week and I am one nervous mommy. Do you have any surgery suggestions about what to have on hand at the hospital, recovery, etc?

Katie Ingram said...

So great to see her doing well! I miss y'all so much!

Anonymous said...

Sara Kate you are a little trouper!

We had lots of fun telling The 3 Bears and playing house, didn't we Sara Kate?